Don't get me wrong, dropshipping is one of the best ways to get your start selling online. Shortly after realizing the challenges and burden of ordering inventory, managing inventory, listing those items, and shipping those items, I decided to dropship 100% of the items I sold until I felt more comfortable taking on the challenge of shipping those items myself. During this time I was able to focus on more important facets of my business like establishing my brand, implementing SEO strategies, and building a solid customer base. After about a year of 100% dropshipping I decided I was once again comfortable enough to take on the task of shipping my own inventory again.
However, since my first encounter of selling items online I never did try to stock and ship 100% of my inventory online. Dropshipping has always been a strategy of mine and it will continue to be within all my online businesses. If I had to put a number on it, I would say I stock about 30% of the items sold within my online stores. The other 70% are dropshipped. Those aren't random ratios I drew out of a hat. You have to consider certain statistics when deciding what to stock and what to let your suppliers ship for you.
Specifically, look at how quickly your inventory turns over on certain items. If you have certain items that sell like hotcakes you should definitely consider keeping some of those on hand at all times. You never want to risk your supplier running out of your best selling item, which can definitely happen from time to time, so keep your own surplus. However, one thing you're going to want to keep in mind is the "shipability" of certain items. If you're selling furniture online you're probably better off just letting your supplier dropship to your customer. Keep in mind that when you buy wholesale and try to resell on your own you're incurring two shipping charges (your supplier to you, you to the customer). However, when you dropship an item the only shipping charge involved is your supplier to your customer. Another obvious factor in your decision should be any dropship charge your supplier tacks on to individual orders. If this charge is high you should try to negotiate with your supplier or purchasing wholesale to avoid that cost.
Whether to use a dropshipper or buy wholesale and ship on your own must be thoroughly considered and varies by the situation. However, considering the points made above will help you to make this decision and keep your workload to a minimum and your profits high!